Leicester, Mass.- The Becker College women's tennis team captured their third consecutive New England Collegiate Conference championship with a 7-2 win over Bay Path College.
The win marks the Hawks sixteenth win in a row, completing their season with a 16-1 record. The loss drops Bay Path to 11-3.
In doubles play, Becker seniors Megan Nessen (Levittown, Penn.) and Laura Mimms (Ashland, Mass.) defeated Symone Watson (Hamden, Conn.) and Sarah Costa (Tiverton, R.I.) 8-3. In number two doubles action, Becker's tandem of Shauna McNally (Worcester, Mass.) and Nicole Connolly (Scarborough, ME.) soared past Stephanie Morin (Springfield, Mass.) and Lianna Loveitt (Gorham, ME.) 8-0. The Hawks completed the sweep of doubles when Courtney Johnson (Auburn, ME.) and Lianna Woodbury (South Dennis Mass.) clawed past Teanna Montoya (Edgartown, Mass.) and Tara Mullane (Pomfret, Conn.) 8-4.
In singles competition, Megan Nessen finished her Becker career on a positive note, defeating Sarah Costa 6-0, 7-5. In number two singles action, freshman Nicole Connolly finished the season with an impressive 15-1 record after defeating Symone Watson 6-0, 6-3. Becker seniors Laura Mimms and Shauna McNally also finished their final matches in royal and white, defeating their respective opponents Stephanie Morin and Teanna Montoya. Bay Path was able to salvage the fifth and sixth singles sets. Lianna Loveitt defeated Lianna Woodbury in a hard fought third set tiebreaker 10-5. In the sixth singles set, Tara Mullane of Bay Path defeated Jessica Burdick (Clinton, Mass.) in straight sets 6-3, 6-1.
Following the championships game, New England Collegiate Conference Commissioner Del Malloy announced the All-Tournament Team. The singles selections were freshman Elora Granados (Chillicothe, TX.) from Regis College, sophomore Emily Scolaro (Peabody, Mass.) from Lesley University, Sarah Costa, Tara Mullane and Lianna Loveitt from Bay Path College, and Nicole Connolly and Megan Nessen from Becker College. The doubles selections were Sarah Costa and Symone Watson from Bay Path and Courtney Johnson and Lianna Woodbury from Becker. Megan Nessen rounded out the awards by being name the tournament Most Valuable Player.
Tennis Match Results
Bay Path College vs Becker
Oct 22, 2011 at Leicester, MA.
Becker 7, Bay Path College 2
1. Megan Nessen (BCWT) def. Sarah Costa (BPWT) 6-0, 7-5
2. Nicole Connolly (BCWT) def. Symone Watson (BPWT) 6-0, 6-3
3. Laura Mimms (BCWT) def. Stephanie Morin (BPWT) 6-2, 6-1
4. Shauna McNally (BCWT) def. Teanna Montoya (BPWT) 6-0, 6-0
5. Lianna Loveitt (BPWT) def. Lianna Woodbury (BCWT) 6-3, 4-6, 10-5
6. Tara Mullane (BPWT) def. Jessica Burdick (BCWT) 6-3, 6-1
1. Megan Nessen/Laura Mimms (BCWT) def. Symone Watson/Sarah Costa (BPWT) 8-3
2. Shauna McNally/Nicole Connolly (BCWT) def. Stephanie Morin/Lianna Loveitt (BPWT) 8-0
3. Courtney Johnson/Lianna Woodbury (BCWT) def. Teanna Montoya/Tara Mullane (BPWT) 8-4